Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

Eye Opener: Photo Essay

For this project I decided to focus on the recycling and garbage disposal on our campus. I chose this as my project because I think sometimes our school does a great job of ensuring there are recycling options beside the garbage cans but then other times you can walk by 10 garbage cans before you find one recycling bin. I think another area our school needs to work on is having all recycling options together with a garbage bin so that you throw the proper items in the proper bin.










The first four pictures are from outside on our campus. In every picture there is a garbage bin but there were no recycling options anywhere to be seen.







The first three pictures above are garbage bins in our school with no recycling options anywhere to be seen. The fourth picture is my first glimpse at a recycling option. The issue is that it is only for paper and other recyclables cannot be recycled here.





Recycling options!!!!! The first picture is taken just outside of the gym and there are 4 garbage bins and two recycling bins where you can dispose your bottles, but please no paper?! Then there is a picture of a garbage bin and a paper only bin, but please no bottles?! Finally in the last picture there is a garbage bin and recycling for both paper and bottles!




The last two pictures are great examples of what our school can offer us in terms of disposing our garbage and recyclables. My question is why can't these options be all over our school instead of just chosen places?

My way of thinking is that where there is a garbage bin, there should be recycling bins (all options). If I am walking down the halls and I continually have the only option of throwing something in the garbage, chances are I might get fed up and throw a recyclable item in the garbage. Easy fix is to have great waste areas like the my last picture shows all over our school!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that UMD has a trash can and recycling on every corner and in every hall. However there have been some places where I realized that that's not necessarily true. It's almost as if when you most need one you have to go on a scavenger hunt before you finally get to one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great thing to point out. I know I have occasionally carried stuff around or home because I couldn't find the right bin to recycle my stuff. I wonder if there is any rhyme or reason to where they place what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more recycle bins the school has the better! I hate it when people just throw recyclables in a garbage can instead of carrying them an extra few feet to a recycle bin.

    ReplyDelete