Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change: Week 2 Update

My SMART goal is that everyday I will turn off the lights in my room whenever it is not being used. I must admit that I thought this was going to be easier then it has been. The first couple days went well but then I slipped a little bit. Whenever I left my house I had no problem turning my light off, but when I was downstairs or somewhere else in the house, thats when I noticed I would leave it on. I think I ran into this problem because when I would leave my room I had the thought that I would be back soon and I didn't have to turn it off. Well, one distraction turns into another and before I know it my light had been left on for an hour or so. I think this can be an easy fix. Whenever I leave my room I will think of it as if I am leaving and not coming back for hours. Since I am better at turning them off when I leave for the day, I am hoping this will help!

When I did turn off my light I felt successful and happy that I was reaching my goal. It was kind of like being a little kid and getting all excited. When I would come upstairs and see that I had left my light on I was mad at myself for forgetting to turn it off. I also had this annoyed feeling sometimes. If I was leaving and realized my light was still on, I felt annoyed that I had to walk a whole 5 steps to turn it off. It was a weird feeling, but also maybe a feeling that comes from my goal not quite being a habit yet. 

This simple, yet challenging change has helped me realize that it takes practice to make a lifestyle change and that you will have some failures at first. I thought it was going to come easily and become a habit right away. Patience and practice are two things that will help me reach my goal and do better this week. I wanted to add another part to me goal, but I will have to master this before I can challenge myself again. 

3 comments:

  1. Don't feel discouraged. It takes three weeks to start a new habit. You will succeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I to struggle with turning lights off, a lot of time being due to the atmosphere they create in my home. Sometimes I like living certain lights on to create a mood when really I have no need to keep them on. I hope your goal will become easier as you go on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really struggle with turning lights off, especially because I hate being in the dark. I'm pretty sure I left two lamps on in my house when I left today and none of my roommates will be home to turn it off until later tonight, woops! Hopefully we can both become better at making turning off the lights a habit.

    ReplyDelete