Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Eye Opener: CSPI

I decided to vist the Tour the Food Supply website and found it very informative. This is a great website to learn quick facts about food, where it comes from, and how it impacts our environment. I want to make changes in my food choices because all the facts were very shocking to me!

The first stop on my tour, was the Animal Feed Facts. The part that stood out the most was the fact that there are far more antibiotics fed to healthy livestock then are used to treat sick people. To me that is something that I don’t even know how to begin to wrap my head around. The antibiotics that are fed to the animals is something that ends up being a part of our diet and to me that is scary. Along with this fact came another shocking piece of information. The methane released from livestock and their manure is equivalent to the annual release of carbon dioxide from 33 MILLION automobiles! I had no idea that the manure could have such a negative impact on our environment.

Another stop on my tour that left me shocked was the Irrigation facts. Irrigating feed-grain crops and raising livestock requires about 15 TRILLION GALLONS of water per year. Wow! I had no idea that the amount of water being used was so high. It is hard for me to even picture that amount of water being used for one aspect of our lives.

The last fact that I want to share is one that I found at the Hospital stop on the tour. I knew some of the facts about diet but once again it opened my eyes. The cost of drugs to treat high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure is about $30 BILLION a year and the overall cost of diet-realted diseases is about $90 billion annually. This was part of the tour because diets rich in meat and dairy products, and low in plant-based foods, increase the risk of obesity, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke and certain types of food. Choosing healthier options can decrease the health bills and health problems our world face.

This tour is one that I would recommend to everyone. It is quick and easy to navigate around, while at the same time learning about some pretty astonishing facts. For me this tour was very educational and learning about all aspects of our food will help me make better choices for my own personal health and for the environment.








1 comment:

  1. When I was doing this assignment I also was super surprised by the amount of antibiotics that go into the animals that we are eating. I became really disgusted by it when we watched that movie in class yesterday. I'm super freaked out about the meat that I'm eating, but apparently I don't care too much because I just ordered Chinese food :)

    ReplyDelete