Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Eye Opener: Junk on the Brain

Part 1

Defined Terms:
Antique- An antique is an old collectable item that represents a previous period of time in society. The reason why it is considered to be a collectable item is because of its age, beauty, condition, or unique feature. Antiquing is the act of collecting these items and using them as a decorative/ art technique.

Junking- This is the retrieval of ordinarily discarded things and materials. It is a way of redefining the usage of things, and a way of cleaning up our polluted earth! Junk is something that one person throws away as something that they no longer want and junking is when someone else uses another person’s “junk”.

Flea market- is a place, indoors or outdoors, where inexpensive or second hand goods are sold. Many times this is where people will bargain the price down. Flea-market vendors might me families that are selling unwanted items or a commercial operation that include new or used merchandise.

Thrift Shop (may also be known as a charity shop)- is a retail establishment run by a charitable organization to raise money. They usually sell second-hand goods that have been donated by individuals in the public, and are staffed by volunteers. This is not a place that is trying to make money as a “business”. They use the money to pay for business costs (such as clothing racks, counters) and then the rest is used for the organization’s charitable purpose. 

Upcycling- is taking something that you would otherwise throw out and finding a way to make it into something else. It is taking waste and making it into something that has equal or greater use value; improving the quality of the material. An example could be taking an old sweater that can no longer be worn, and turning it into a purse.

Resale Shop- A place where they sell gently used goods. They buy their merchandize outright from individual owners. Sometimes a profit goes to a charity but it is different from a thrift shop as it differs in the percentage given (if any at all). Examples in Duluth would be Plato’s closet, Savers, or Goodwill.

What do the terms above have to do with environmental health?
At first the terms above might not seem like they have anything to do with environmental health, but they all do! They are all environmentally friendly ideas because they have to do with the concept of reusing items or materials. If antiquing or thrift stores didn't exist then our landfills would be filled with even more 'garbage'. All of the terms are our society's way or recycling items from one individual to another. One person's junk may be another person's art piece on their wall. If we can take the terms defined above and use them in our everyday decisions, we will be eliminating garbage that pollutes our earth!

Part 2
Identify at least one local resource for each of the terms above...provide name, location, contact information, and website or blog. 
Identify whether you do any or use any of these things. Why or Why not?

I can't say that I collect or use antiques or that I have ever tried junking at this point in my life. I have just never though about doing this before, but once I am done College and looking for my first real house, this is something I would love to do. I have never tried upcycling and maybe this has to do with my creative side not being so great. Maybe this is something I can try in my future. This summer I went to a flea market back home in Canada. It was my first experience and I had a lot of fun. You can find some great deals and the atmosphere was great. I bought some local fruit that day and it was delicious. I donate my old clothes on a regular basis. I usually do this in the summer when I am back home and have gone through all of my things. I give mine to the Diabetes Association and they even come pick it up at my house! I have been to Plato's closet a couple times but have not bought anything, only because I didn't find anything I needed. I love the idea of stores like Plato's closet and my roommates and I are planning a shopping trip there this week! 

Part 3
Get your Junk on! Visit JunkMarketStyle.com and find three projects that inspire you or that you simply find cool. 
  1. Happy Father’s Day Eve- I chose this cool project because for many kids, this would be a fun and awesome gift to give their dads. Taking an old bottle and making it their own, by adding their picture and turning it into a vase to give on father’s day! Very cool!
  2. My ‘White Trash’ Bedroom- I don’t know if I would ever have the guts to re-do my entire room with a budget of $0 and using the concept of junking. That is exactly what they did! Their entire bedroom is ‘junk’ but looking at the picture it looks really well done and like a really cool place to hang out! 
  3. A Reel Bird Feeder- For the project, they took an old movie reel and put in on a stand to make a bird feeder. It looks really cool but when I saw it I thought I would use that as a serving tray for guests (humans not birds). I know it was made for the birds, but I thought of different ways I would use something like that! Creative! 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the white trash bedroom! that is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found some great definitions! I also said that once I find my own place after college I would love to fill it with junked items and antiques. I loved the picture of the white trash bedroom! I wish I were that creative!

    ReplyDelete